Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Lord told me...

I often cringe when I hear people say "The Lord told me..." It is quite clear from Scripture that God does indeed speak to his people but we are not always good listeners, neither are we always good at discerning God’s timing. I fear that we confuse people with our use of this phrase, especially if we are around people who do not know God well. We can very easily give an inaccurate picture of God’s guidance, creating the impression we continually hear God speaking to us in an audible voice. In reality this rarely happens.

Lately I've been thinking of other ways to better express what I mean when I say, "The Lord told me..." such as, "I sensed God telling me…" or "I felt a conviction…" or "I believe God wants me to...". I want it to sound more like a prompting than a direct command. This is more in keeping with how I hear God and the way he leads me.

Technorati StumbleUpon Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments: