Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Unobtainable expectations

One of the expectations we have about our church services is it has to be good enough to invite those who are not believers. Once I asked someone who felt like this: Can you imagine a church service where you would feel comfortable inviting a friend who wasn’t a Christian? They couldn’t, which makes me think we have created an unobtainable expectation. I don’t think a church service has to be anywhere near perfect to do the basics, provide instruction in the Word of God, give expression for the worship of God and create opportunity to connect with other Christians.

When I first became a Christian, I was so thankful to be saved it didn’t matter to me what the church service was like. I just wanted to be with other Christians who could teach me more about God. I found the words of the songs inspired me, the words of the prayers taught me how to pray, the sermon instructed me. Christians fascinated me because I knew so few, and I wanted to know more. I wanted to know about their faith, their relationship to God, how they prayed, how they heard from God. Our church services don’t need to be perfect. Authenticity and responsiveness to God go a long way and makes a deep impression.

Technorati StumbleUpon Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments: