Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Measuring goodness

When I first became a Christian I'd measure my spirituality by the amount of time I spent in spiritual disciplines. However I found that whenever I started to feel proud about the fact I could maintain a regular quiet time or completed a regular Bible reading program it seemed like God stopped me. Not because having a quiet time was wrong, but because my attitude was wrong. I was becoming proud and self-righteous, and focusing on my ability.

When we measure our spiritual maturity by outward behaviour the Christian life becomes boring. If we constantly have to keep track of our behaviour, if we are anxious about whether we have prayed enough, read enough and if we worry about whether we should or shouldn't attend certain functions, then the Christian life becomes very tiresome.

The goal of studying the Bible and spending time with God is to become more like Jesus and therefore more loving. If a spiritual discipline is causing us to feel proud or arrogant then we ought to stop doing it. We would be better off weaker in our knowledge of God than feeling strong in our own self-sufficiency.

Technorati StumbleUpon Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

2 comments:

quietspirit said...

Amen to that.

Susan said...

Thanks for dropping by