Tuesday, May 17, 2016

More on Measuring Goodness

A few more thoughts following on from last week about measuring goodness: In the beginning Adam and Eve lived in communion with God and had no need to measure their spirituality. God even told them not to eat from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" (Genesis 2:17) because they didn't need this knowledge. Being in relationship with God would be enough to keep them from evil.

However they did eat, and now we tend to measure good and evil. Is drinking alcohol, dating, surfing the Internet, playing computer games good or evil? If we do those things we think are good, we congratulate ourselves and become self-righteous. If we do those things we think are evil, we feel guilty and condemn ourselves. God didn't intend for us to be self-righteous or self-condemning. I've learnt that I cannot measure our spirituality by observable means. I cannot assume spiritual maturity based on my age or on the amount of Bible knowledge I have or on what I do or don't do. It cannot be measured by my actions; if it's measured at all it must be measured by my ability to love.

So there is no need for us to try to impress God, others, or even ourselves. Certainly we go around doing good, like Jesus did (Acts 10:38), but there is no reason for us to measure our goodness.

Technorati StumbleUpon Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

No comments: